Project Date: 2019 – Current
The project, located in Queen Anne’s County will install an Automated Lane Closure System (ALCS) consisting of a series of integrated Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) devices to advise motorists of closed lanes approaching the eastern shore two-way traffic crossover. The system will be utilized by the William Preston Lane Jr. Memorial Bridge (Bay Bridge) operations and maintenance staff to remotely close lanes to allow contra-flow operations on the north or south bridges, and for incidents.
The ALCS components include:
- Larger full matrix color dynamic message signs (DMS) to be utilized for enhanced lane use signs (ELUS) on all eastern shore (ground mounted) overhead gantries
- Four full matrix color DMS to be utilized for ALCS warning messages for contra-flow operations mounted overhead on gantries N-25, N-26 EB & WB, and N-27
- One full matrix color DMS to be utilized for ALCS warning messages for contra-flow operations ground mounted along MD 8 on-ramp to US 50/301 Westbound
- 22 gates of various type and arm length to close lanes on approach to eastern shore two-way traffic crossover.
- Four runs of illuminated pavement markers to be activated during crossover operations supplement the existing pavement markings.
This work includes, but is not limited to:
- Furnishing and installing ALCS ITS device equipment as noted above and necessary controllers, cabinets, testing, and commissioning.
- Replacement of all lane use control gantries on the eastern shore, and the addition of three new gantries. All proposed gantries will accommodate the larger ELUS and four DMS for warning messages.
- Installation of gate and IPM control shelter and maintenance driveway.
- Replacement and installation of new W-beam traffic barrier and end treatments
- Installation of new concrete barrier sections
- Signing and marking
- Maintenance of Traffic
- Lighting/electrical and ITS modifications
- Stormwater Management Facilities Maryland
- Erosion and Sediment Control
- Coordinating with MDTA and providing support to MDTA for ITS integration.
TIS Duties for the Bay Bridge Crossover Automated Lane Closure System
True Inspection Services (TIS) is providing Construction Management, Administration, and Inspection Services. Further, TIS is providing a variety of managerial services including ICPM/CPM schedule review, budget management, facilitating monthly progress meetings, holding formal partnering meetings, monthly and quarterly safety inspections, force account tracking, change order processing and mitigation. Additionally, TIS is providing oversight of the quality control inspection program and staff through all phases of construction.